Friday, November 6, 2015

Fri-DIY: Lavender Filled Sleep Mask


Hi there! 

So I don't know if i'm in a minority here when I say that I just cannot sleep without a sleeping mask on. This started when I first started dating Bri and he would go to bed way later than I would and the light from the TV would keep me up. To help get some sleep, I bought myself a cheap sleep mask from Michaels. My love affair started from there. 

I've been playing around with this idea for awhile of a lavender filled mask, as lavender is known for its calming properties and scent. I finally decided to give it a try, and let me tell you not only was it easy to make, it still smells great and the scent definitely helps me sleep more soundly at night. 


For this project you will need some fabric for the mask, some felt for the inside, a piece of elastic, needle, thread and dried lavender. I had some from an old project, but you can buy it in the store or online. You may also want to use a template for the shape, I used this one.


It is pretty simple to put together, just pin the template to the fabric (or trace it if you choose) and cut around it. You can use two separate pieces of fabric, or you can just fold one large piece in half like I did. Do the same for the felt. I used two pieces of felt so that it would feel nice and cushion-y.



Once all four pieces are cut out make a lil "sandwich" with them, layering the two pieces you want on the outside between the two pieces of felt. Don't forget to have the "pretty" side facing in so that when it is reversed, it will be on the outside. From there, just sew sew sew! I'm definitely not a sewing expert so I just made it up as I went.


When you get to the end, leave a little hole and flip the fabric right side out. You should have a nice little seam and a small opening to pour your lavender in. I used about 3 of these small cups, but this is obviously personal preference. The last step is to close up the hole and attach the elastic. In hindsight, I probably could have figured out a way to attach the elastic in a neater fashion, but oh well! More reason to make another one!




And that's it! What do you think? I didn't realize how easy it was to do, otherwise I would have made one a long time ago! I think this could make a great gift, especially with really soft fabric! I may have to whip up a few for the holidays! 

Have you ever made your own sleeping mask? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments :