Thursday, February 12, 2015

DIY : Valentine's Day Treat Edition

Chocolate Strawberry Bark Recipe

Hey there blog world! So I know I said that I had big plans for February, part of which included a regularly scheduled content calendar. And believe me, I did everything "they"(aka blog experts) recommend, from physically writing a calendar out to scheduling the posts so they post automatically. But see this funny thing called life happened, and I just haven't had enough hours in the day to manage working a full time job (that has 4 hours of commute time, mind you), getting my Etsy shop up and running, planning a bridal shower and having a regular social life. It doesn't help that Bri has been off on weekends, so instead of sitting around working on the blog, we are hanging out together. And I know that every guide to starting a blog will say "you have to make the time," but I need to be honest with myself. I just don't have the time at this moment in my life to wear this many hats. I'm hopeful that this will be changing relatively soon (yay new opportunities in the pipeline), but until then I have allow myself to not feel like a failure for not being able to post consistently. I apologize in advance to any readers I may have accumulated, this is in no way me giving up on Holy Noley: The Blog. This is merely allowing myself to let go of the stress that I am putting on myself because I will make myself physically ill if I do not. 

Ok, whew! Glad I got that out of the way. Onto something more fun! 

I have to say Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. I know it is cheesy, but I love celebrating a holiday where I can make a bunch of stuff for Bri. He loves chocolate covered strawberries; it is one of the few dessert-y things that he will eat. So every year for V-Day I make some variation of this. This year, I have gone with a chocolate strawberry bark. It is super easy and came together in less than 30 minutes, so it is perfect to whip up last minute! 

First things first...

To make chocolate strawberry bark, you need chocolate and strawberries. I like a darker chocolate, so 60% cacao was a natural choice for me. Obviously this is a personal preference. As for the strawberries, I went with organic dehydrated strawberries from the health food store. Ideally, I would love to dehydrate my own strawberries for this so I would know exactly what I was putting into my body. But as I don't have a dehydrator, store bought would have to do. 

After this, it is pretty simple. Pour the chocolate chips or bits into a glass bowl and melt. I used a makeshift double boiler method since there was a lot and I wanted to avoid burning it, which can happen when melting in the microwave.



Chocolate Strawberry Bark Recipe

Once fully melted, pour onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle dehydrated strawberries on the melted chocolate and then stick it in the fridge to let it harden.

Chocolate Strawberry Bark Recipe

Once cooled and hardened, just break off chunks and serve! That's it! So incredibly simple and the recipe can obviously be modified to include whatever topping you want. I will definitely try it again with some crushed nuts and darker chocolate. 

Chocolate Strawberry Bark Recipe


What are you making for Valentine's Day? 




No comments :